Tnx, John!

An exercise that I've yet to find the time to do is to put the balun (or
external tuner) inside a well insulated enclosure and then measure the
temperature rise. (Something like a tightly closed Styrofoam box.) It's
possible to get a good idea of how many watts of dissipation are needed to
do that, hence how much power is being lost. The power can be calculated or,
for the more empirically-minded, a resistor in the enclosure can be heated
with a known DC power to produce the same temperature rise curve without RF
present.

Of course you can lose 1/2 to 3/4 of your RF in the balun and the other
station may not notice. After all, that's only about 1/2 to 1 "S-unit" at
the receiver.

Just intuitively, I'd be astonished if that balun heating was caused by
anywhere near 50 to 75 watts of power being dissipated!

The QRP community has a saying, borrowed from Ben Franklin of kite-flying
fame (among other exploits). They say "a dB saved is a dB radiated". Or, as
another sage put it, "lose a dB here and a dB there often enough and pretty
soon you're talking serious losses!"

I certainly live by the rule that it's good sense to avoid unnecessary
losses wherever it's practical to do so, and not to panic over those losses
that are unavoidable.

After all, to paraphrase another sage, "...a little RF goes a long way..."

Ron AC7AC