... There are large differences in audio
volume when receiving different strength signals.

There are two AGC  parameters that should help.

1) AGC THR

This sets the signal strength which must occur before AGC is activated. It is defaulted to the several microvolts range. If you are listening on a quiet band with a gain turned up, you might have 20 or 30 dB of signal range before AGC starts. Set AGC THR to a lower value. Based on your comments, I suggest a value of 1 or perhaps 2.

CONFIG:AGC THR 001

(default is 5)

2) AGC SLP

Once AGC is activated, this determines how much louder strong signals may sound than signals just at the AGC threshold. 15 will really flatten the response.

CONFIG:AGC SLP 015

(default is 10)

I suspect if you adjust both of these parameters - and AGC is ON! - you will be happier with the K3 in your particular operating environment.

73,

Lyle KK7P