Of course overdriving the sound card will cause distortion, and it's
also true that the amount of drive required depends, as you say, on
the nature of the device being driven. That's why the statement caught
my attention - taken at face value, it implied an absolute limit,
without reference to the gain of the driven device. For example, in my
case, it happens that LINE OUT is set to 25 to correctly drive the
sound card in my PSK31 setup because as it happens, I'm using a cable
with some attenuation built in.

Anyway, anything that Lyle writes I read quite closely, so thought
that I would ask!

Bob NW8L