This discussion brings back memories of when I worked on FIR
filter design many years ago, and I would add the following to
the simple aspects that can be understood without math.

The digital signal is of course a string of numbers representing
samples from the analog waveform, just like the numbers
coming off a music CD. The FIR filter works on some number N
of the latest signal samples and uses all these N numbers to
compute one output number. Then the oldest remembered number
is dumped, and a new sample is entered, and the process repeats.
Suppose there is a step change in the input samples. This will not
reach its full impact on the output until the new sample level has
propagated into all of the memorized samples that are used to
compute the output. The FIR filter has a delay which is roughly
the number N times the sample interval. However, it doesn't
remember anything beyond this time span, as nothing except
the past N samples can affect each output value. Now, suppose
we change the computation of output samples so that this rule
is broken. Just as an example, say that we use the N latest
inputs as before, but also take the previous OUTPUT value into
account when we compute the next output value. Now, that
previous OUTPUT value is affected by at least one older input
value, so the new output value is affected by more than N
input values. This effect compounds, so that every output
value theoretically is affected by all old input values. Thus
an Impulse on the input keeps on infinitely affecting the output
(theoretically). Hence "Infinite Impulse Response".

The flanks of a FIR bandpass filter get steeper with increasing
number N of input samples used in the calculation of each output.
This results in increasing delay. We just don't hear the other
station immediately. Obviously there is a tradeoff between
delay and selectivity. The other day a list member posted
carefully measured selectivity curves of the K3 with various
DSP filter widths and roofing filters (along with similar measurements
on 1000MP). I just glanced over the graphs, but to me it looked
like the K3 DSP filter flanks were far from "brick wall" in terms
of shape factor; off the top of my head, the crystal filters may have
been sharper than the DSP in terms of skirt falloff for a given
bandwidth setting. This brings new light on the debate as to whether
you really need those extra roofing filters. I am sure that the K3
designers made an intelligent decision as to the tradeoff between
DSP passband shape and DSP delay. Does anyone know the number
of N for the current FIR filters? I assume that the sampling frequency
would be about 30 kHz for the 15 kHz IF frequency.

Erik K7TV