On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:33:20 +0100, Dave G4AON wrote:

>Hello Jim

>I assume the normal RX loop of the K3 doesn't allow you to add an
>external receiver without making a "Y" lead with either a resistive pad
>or hybrid transformer in the centre? The diagram is hard to follow at
>times, but that is how it looks to me...

The flow isn't at all clear to me either, but Elecraft DOES have schematics on
the website, so we could go look there and figure it out. So far I've had my
mind on other things. :)

>I am hoping to receive the
>interface and pre-amp next week. I will check the RF levels from the K3
>before hooking up the pre-amp.

It's only an issue if the preamp input sees an HF antenna that's receiving lots
of RF. One thing I did was put a good 6M BPF in front of it (I used the ICE
unit
that is narrowly tuned to the bottom of 6M). That helped.

>Do you know if AAR include protection diodes as standard now?

I doubt it -- their response to me was rather negative, and they did it only
because I insisted because I was tired of sending it back for warranty repair!
BTW -- mine is also the GasFET version.

73,

Jim

>73 Dave, G4AON

> >/I also have an Advanced Receiver Products P50VDG 50 MHz pre-amp on order
>/>/(http://www.advancedreceiver.com/), again anyone else using one of these
>/>/with their K3? It looks easy enough to connect as a direct pre-amp via
>/>/the in/out sockets on the KXV3.
>/
>I've had one of their auto-switching mast-mount preamps for about five
>years.
>Used it inline with a 746 when I was back in Chicago. It blew up three
>times
>with RF from my HF rigs. Finally got them to add protection diodes to it,
>which fixed it. It's now patched into the RX loop of the K3, and works
>well.

>73,

>Jim K9YC

AM