...There is just no tracking of levels at the I F
out with what is fed into the antenna input of the receiver.

If that were true, LP-PAN, SDR-14 and SDR0IQ could not be used as panadaptors. But they can and are being used, so one can only conclude that the output at the IF jack most assuredly follows the signal at the input.

Note that there are a mulititude of signals at the IF output connector since this is the unfiltered output from the mixer post-amplifier. These signals must be accounted for in any device which attaches to the IF output jack. See < URL:http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html > and scroll about halfway down the page to "L.O. leakage / isolation:" for details

The lower the impedance of the attached load, the lower the gain (or increased loss) there will be at the IF output. We're talking microvolt levels here, not hundreds of millivolts.

73,

Lyle KK7P