That's a pretty good solution. When I was making measurements I noted that when I turned the supply voltage down to the 10 to 11 volt range the fan got very quiet. In fact, I was going to forget about the thermostatic control solution. But when I put the cover on, the noise worsened quite a bit at the same voltage. Pulling air through those case perforations seems to do it.

Since the K3 is spec'd for 11 to 15 volts, I wanted to run at a little over 14 V or so. The fan really gets noisier as voltage climbs, so I definitely needed either the resistor solution or fan control.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU

NZ0T wrote:
As I'm not a very technical person I just used a couple of resistors in
parallel to slow the fan down in my 4225.  I can't remember the values this
early in the morning but it seems to be working just fine.  The supply does
run a little warmer but not hot and the fan is no longer heard.

Bill NZ0T