Just a thought here...

There are many fans for computers which have a thermal control for the fan speed built in. I suspect it's just a temperature-variable resistor in series with the power lead. This could be a viable alternative for cooling of almost any thing which needs it, and these things are cheap. Look for phrases like "thermally controlled", "temperature controlled" etc. With just a bit of searching, one can also find fans listed as "silent". Many sellers of these fans list the sound level in DB, which makes comparison easy, they almost always list RPM and CFM specs as well. Also a variety of sizes from 40mm to 120mm and more. Try Cooler Guys <http://www.coolerguys.com/>,
NewEgg <http://www.newegg.com/>,
 Xoxide <http://www.xoxide.com/casefans.html?> just to name a few.

Hope this may help.

73, John W4CWZ

Alan Bloom wrote:
Yes, I expect a voltage regulator would work better than a resistor to
drop the voltage.  Since the fan motor draws more current at startup
than when it is running, a contant-voltage source should give
more-reliable startup at a lower voltage.

But you probably still want to use a thermostat or some other method to
switch the fan to full voltage if things get too hot.

Al N1AL