David:
Re: your first statement/question... The MAIN/AUX selection can be made at any time after the KRX3 is installed and turned on by press/hold of BSET and tapping the ANT button. It is not just a "choose at installation time" option.
73, Ken K3IU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
Wayne (and anyone else who has installed the KRX3), there are some questions buried in here, marked with 2 ** to help spot them.

Hmmmm, from original reading of the Owners manual and discussions on here last year, I thought selection of either the KAT3 non-Tx ANT1/2 or the Aux BNC Jack (AUX.RF) would be via software.

** I assume that this has proven to be a problem and so now it's a 'choose at installation time' option (as per KRX3 installation manual)?

Even now, reading the Owners Manual, the diagrams on pg 41 and 42 (of rev D1) suggest the AUX.RF is connected to SA4, along with the KAT3 connection.

** Should the horizontal line from SA4 to KAT3 be dotted as well, with a note saying installation option (choose one of two)?

I wish to use 2 antennas and may transmit on either and I had planned to be able to listen on both and then transmit on one of them. So for me, using the KAT3 method appears to be best. Issue with COR and delay etc. won't come into it (I think).

However, the work to install the AUX.RF connector is 'significant' (well, ok, it’s a bit more, involving removing side panels etc.) so I'd like to do this while I'm installing the KRX3, just so it's done.

But then, not connect the TMP lead to the KRX3, but sleeve the connector and 'tuck' it out of the way somewhere.

** Is it possible/acceptable to install the AUX.RF BNC jack, but not connect it to anything? ** Would there be any implications of stray RF on the lead to worry about?

And, if at some point in the future, I choose to use AUX.RF, switch the lead to the KAT3 with the AUX.RF lead, again sleeving the KAT3 TMP to avoid any shorts.

** Again, is there any issue with leaving the KAT3 lead connected to the KAT3, but not connected to the KRX3?

** Perhaps it would be advisable to install an additional TMP socket with both pin and shield grounded and to connect the unused TMP lead to it?

** Might that be a future mod for you, providing an unused TMP socket just to terminate the unused lead?