> In fact, you could probably hack the existing KIO3 module
> relatively easily.

Yes ... replace the LT1039ACN and support components on the KIO3
main board with an FTDI FT232RQ and support components.  Replace
the DB9 on the KIO3 DSUB/RS-232 board with the USB connector.  The
real issue is whether the connection via P90/J90 will support the
USB data without coupling into the audio elsewhere on the
KIO3 board.

The number of components required for the FTDI FT232RQ is much
less than those required for the LT1039ACN (including the DC
to DC converter).

Of course, such a modification would only be compatible with
computers that have a USB port and for which the FTDI CDM
drivers exist (Windows 2K, XP Vista, OS-X 10.4+ and SOME
versions of LINUX).  Windows 98 and DOS systems need not apply.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV