Dave,

That Win98SE surely has real serial ports. I strongly suggest that you use one of the real serial ports. IIRC correctly (it has been years), but the USB support in Win98SE was flaky at best - the situation did not get much better until Win2k, and by then Win98 was fading into the background - even the 'SE' version of Win98 was a patch at best, but the real serial ports worked just fine. You can unplug one of your existing serial connections long enough to load the new firmware on your K3 and then revert to the normal use of that port.

If you really want to use the USB to serial adapter, I suggest you upgrade to Win2K or later.

73,
Don W3FPR

Dave W7DPW wrote:
I just now have gotten around to downloading the K3 Utility and have it
installed on my 98SE machine. I have a USB to RS-232 converter on it
shows in my system menu as COM4 but it will not appear in the selection
menu of the K3 Utility. Only COM1, COM2, COM5, and COM6 appear on the K3
Utility PullDown Menu and they are used for other applications.

I know COM4 works as I use it with WriteLog and that application will
communicate with the K3 without problems. I have the K3 RS-232 set to
9600...