I test with a Win98 machine, two Windows XP SP3 machines, and a Windows
Vista SP1 machine.

Dick, K6KR

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Doug Faunt N6TQS
+1-510-655-8604
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 7:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Utility RS-232 ComPort4

Since I was messing with computers, and I had everything to hand, I
just tried installing the Prolific drivers, from their website, on a
W98 machine that I'm configuring, and then the K3 download program.
It all worked as advertised, no problem, so it does work, at least
sometimes.

Just think, if the K3 had nothing but the USB interface how difficult
this would be.  At least, you could use a real serial port, if
necessary.

73, doug

   From: "Dick Dievendorff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:39:19 -0700

   The K3 Utility gets its inventory of COM ports from the registry.  See

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM

   When a serial port device driver installs a COM device, it's supposed to
   make this registry entry.  That's what we're looking for.

   Dick, K6KR