George wrote:

Are not most egg cartons these days made of polystyrene or something
similiar?  If so, doesn't that material cause ESD??  Seems to me it
does. I have avoided the use of that type, thinking that the answers
to both questions is yes.

I would think that the foam ones are dangerous. There is a 'crackly' feel to them sometimes!

I pick up metal muffin tins at yard sales, usually for $0.25 or so. Then I connect them to ground through a 1 megohm resistor. I also have a metal yard(meter)-stick attached to the front of my workbench which is similarly grounded, a wrist strap and an anti-static mat. All of these items are connected to a common ground, through resistors.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco