Actually 4 MHz is probably the most common I.F. for LF/MF converters. Many
Ham band rigs receive in the 4.0 to 4.5 MHz range and it uses a
commonly-available and cheap 4.0 MHz crystal for the L.O. The other designs
I've seen mostly use that range.

I bread boarded a diode ring mixer converter for the 400-500 kHz range, but
haven't converted it into a finished unit yet so I haven't investigated what
the K3 (or the K2) will with it in the transverter menus.

Ron AC7AC