DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

> As for "pumping the AGC," you can always turn the AGC off and ride the
> RF gain.  But it has been my experience that (a) either the loud guy
> who is close will move away (b) trying to fight such a situation (and
> trying to win) can cost you more points than it is worth.  And if the
> other guy is THAT CLOSE and you are both running, then there is always
> some doubt as to which one of you the weak DX is actually answering
> (again, bad for the score).

Doug's last sentence is a very astute observation from someone who is
clearly an experienced contester.  It's probably the major reason I try to
avoid extremely close spacings.  Sure we can use 200 Hz bandwidths to
eliminate QRM but we have no control over the guys who call off-frequency.
I'm hoping the K3 with its CWT function becomes more popular and helps
reduce the range of off-frequency callers.

73,  Bill