>> I have used both of these filters for years in my FT1000MP
>> and am completely familiar with their shape and use in a
>> contest.

>The 250 Hz filters in an FT1000MP is an entirely different
>situation.  In the FT-1000D/FT-1000MP, there are two filters
>- each approximately 350 Hz wide - in cascade yielding a
>composite 250 Hz (at -6dB) bandwidth.

In my MP, having INRAD pairs at 400 and 250, one often used tactic was
leaving the 455 IF at 400 (500 on the panel) and switching in the "250" in
the 2nd If, to deal with a VLS squeezing in from above or below. Though it
was certainly useful, the other cr*p being generated by the IF in the MP
prevented making best use of the filters.  I don't expect anything else
roofing wise from them in the K3. The "mere" 100 Hz difference in the two is
enough to deal with a squeezing-in VLS

I already had compared the K3 website curves with my measured MP curves on
the two filters with the 455 IF set wide, so I knew exactly what I was
getting. In the WAE, this setup performed spendidly as expected. I had dsp
width set to get the wider CW filter at 500 Hz dsp, narrower CW filter at
300 dsp.

That's why *I* bought the two, with my eyes wide open, I make no claims to
have the fully portable mantra for everyone to follow, just a view from
another perspective.

73, and even if your mileage may vary may it still take you where you want
to be.

Guy, K2AV