> Ed ....
>
> If I understand what I think you said, the agc settings are
> dependant on:
>      Pre-amp on/off and / or Attenuator on/off
>      The DSP filter width
>      Which 1st IF filter is active

What I intended to convey was that to prevent overload, one should first
make sure the front-end gain is not too high before worrying about AGC
settings.  Independent of AGC, the RX front-end can be too hot if the PREamp
is enabled, e.g., on 40 - 160 especially, or if the ATTentuator is off on
the low bands when signals are pounding in.  My point about RX overload was
to first turn off the PREamp and add the ATTenuator if required.

The second point is to use the crystal filters as roofing filters to protect
the DSP as the K3 was designed.  The tighter they are around the DSP WIDTH
you are using, the better protected the DSP is from nearby strong signal
IMD.

THEN, worry about setting the AGC parameters to optimize to your preference.
It is futile to deal with RX overload with only the AGC if you've got the
front-end too hot and have wide roofing filters letting IMD be created in
your passband.

> and .....
> the AGC SLP and THR settings are, for the most part a well
> kept secret and not to be shared.

Few people change the AGC settings from the default and even fewer people
understand what the AGC settings do and how to adjust them to achieve what
you want.  This reflector has had some good posts on AGC parameters from
W8JI and K8ZOA.  So, I don't think AGC settings are secret and not to be
shared so much as they are not well understood by many of us.  Moreover,
there is no single set of magic or ideal AGC settings for everyone and
everyone's operating variations.  The K3 defaults are probably the best
single set of parameters for all of us.  They may not be optimum in all
situations, but they won't be terribly wrong either.

> However mine are SLP= 8 and THR= 4 and, to me, it sounds
> pretty close to the K2.  I don't use NR much on CW because of
> what it appears to do to the received CW signals.
> This is with MCU 2.34 and DSP 1.81, which may affect how
> those two settings are set.

I'm using the defaults of SLP=010, THR=005, HLD=000, AGC-F=120 for CW.

I used 2.38 and 1.90 in the CW Sprint last night.  Wayne updated 2.38
fifteen minutes before the Sprint to fix a minor issue with how RIT Clear
was working from our contest loggers.  Both my K3s and at least two others
updated with this firmware and ran flawlessly.  (Those of you who worry
about Beta releases posted on the Elecraft web site, take note.  For 15
months now, I have always updated to the latest K3 firmware, even this close
to the start of a contest.  I would never do that with any other software or
firmware.  The K3 firmware updates are not perfect, but I have high
confidence in them.)

> If SLP= 8 and THR= 4 are bad settings, please tell me why.

I don't think those are bad settings, but I haven't operated your K3 at your
location at the times you operate, etc., etc.   The whole range of possible
AGC settings is reasonable depending on operating conditions and personal
preference.  Personally, the default AGC settings have worked well for me,
so I haven't invested the time to experiment.  Changing AGC settings is not
something you can do and immediately know if they are "better".  This is
because every signal and band and noise situation is different, so you need
to experience the AGC settings over a range of operating conditions.  You
may want to change one, or at most two, parameters at a time and operate
with them for a while to anecdotally compare to the previous settings.  Over
time you can get a feel for how much change in each will effect your
receiving performance in various conditions.  I suppose one could put SLP
and THR on Programmable Function keys and adjust them real time on signals,
but I've not found that to be a priority compared to other things I need to
be worrying about while operating.  If I need to reduce gain quickly, I
reach for the RF GAIN knob.  If I feel the AGC is getting in my way, I may
even turn it off and just ride the RF GAIN control.  Most of the K3s at
VP6DX were operated with the AGC off, so AGC parameter values were
irrelevant in their rather challenging conditions.

Still, I'm looking forward to playing with the AGC parameters some more and
trying to optimize them for my various operating scenarios, but it is not a
high priority need right now.  To summarize, RX overload should be first
dealt with by using the PREamp and ATTenuator to achieve the right amount of
gain in the front-end.  Once that is set properly, then you can use the RF
GAIN control and/or the AGC parameters to fine tune performance.

You mentioned NR.  I haven't found NR to be useful at all for CW, and while
it works well on SSB, I don't use it there either, preferring to let my
brain deal with the noise.

73,
Ed - W0YK