I'm using the K3 with a PW-1 and the beauty of it is you don't need the ALC if you use the K3's capacity to store the power level (drive level) for each band. Obviously if you use the K3 barefoot at 100 watts you would have to be careful to turn it back down with the amp but I just leave it at the saved settings that I have established for output for each band. The proper drive level does vary somewhat by band. You are right about the ALC ..the K3 ALC is not compatible with the PW-1 and you should not connect the ALC line between the two. 73 de Greg