Enno -

I have very high white noise in my K3 on 75 meters when connected to the serial port computer interface. Removing this connection greatly reduces the noise. If you use HRD, LP-BRIDGE, or any control software, you can also hear a pulsing noise related to polling the K3 over the serial port. I believe this can be lessened, but have not tried as yet. Here in Florida, USA, the level of thunder storms creates a naturally high noise level in the summer, but the effects described above are clearly noticeable. I use the Elecraft KUSB as serial interface.

Monty  K2DLJ

This is what N4DSP sent me as a reaction (he is not a mailing list
subscriber).

Like N4DSP and in addition to my initial posting, I have compared with my
1000MP, and although I can hear the same station on both rigs, listening
with the 1000MP is just more relaxing.

Enno,
I do not subscribe to the elecraft reflector so cannot post there. I only
read the archives but I am experiencing the very same thing in regards to
noise. I have a constant s4 noise level on 40 and s5 on 80 mtrs. My Yaesu
FT-1000d is very very quiet with no s mtr movement on those bands and I even
wrote to Tom, W8JI, about this but have not heard back from him.

I am not sure what the noise was like on earlier versions but at this time
it is very very noisy.
If you like you can post my info I provided you. I am running the latest
regular release.

Keep me posted on emails to you and if you succeed in quieting the receiver.

73
john-n4dsp

Enno, PF5X wrote:

Hi all,

My K3 #1263 was delivered in July with F/W MCU 2.18 DSP 1.84 and I was
really enjoying the RX capabilities of the K3. Now that I have upgraded to 2.38/1.90 I believe the RX is more "restless" when listening to an "empty"
space on the band. The S-meter is constantly on S5 with pre-amp ON and S3
with pre-amp OFF on the lower bands (30/40m). I have compensated that a
bit by lowering the AGC threshold (from 5 to 4 now).
I liked the initial F/W wrt AGC behavior better (less fatiguing to listen
to).

I have read in the F/W history file that changes to the AGC have been made
from F/W 2.22 onwards. So I wonder if other people have the same
experience.

I live in an urban area so it IS noisy out here. It is just the way the K3
deals with that noisy background level.
When switching to ANT2 (not connected to anything) the RX goes virtually
silent.

-- Enno, PF5X