With the new firmware, I found it necessary to do the S-meter calibration.
This restored the previous "base" behavior.

Not sure what the state was before the calibration, whether I had done the
prior calibration correctly, etc., so I can't "blame" the firmware. My
guess, though, is that I'm on a learning curve, and only the latest, most
informed thing I have done can be trusted, if that.

Afterwards, if your noise goes from S nothing to S5 by attaching the
antenna, you surely are in a noisy locaton. If so, turn off the preamp
and/or use the atten to reduce the "resting" gain of your RX. After that
just turn your RF gain counter clockwise until the resting noise in the RX
is something you can live with.

I've had to do that all summer long, as 40 and 80 meters have had nasty QRN
nearly continuously.

Beyond that, reducing bandwidth on CW, the K3 has been able to listen down
into the noise in a way unrivaled by any other RX I've used, including the
Orion.

Of late for CW QSO's, once established, I center their signal, and go to 50
Hz bandwidth immediately. No reason not to, and the bandwidth drops the
noise way down. If they are above the noise, tuning just barely slightly off
their signal removes just enough softness in the signal to make it quite
pleasant.

73, Guy.

My K3 #1263 was delivered in July with F/W MCU 2.18 DSP 1.84 and I was
really enjoying the RX capabilities of the K3. Now that I have upgraded to
2.38/1.90 I believe the RX is more "restless" when listening to an "empty"
space on the band. The S-meter is constantly on S5 with pre-amp ON and S3
with pre-amp OFF on the lower bands (30/40m). I have compensated that a bit
by lowering the AGC threshold (from 5 to 4 now).
I liked the initial F/W wrt AGC behavior better (less fatiguing to listen
to).

I have read in the F/W history file that changes to the AGC have been made
from F/W 2.22 onwards. So I wonder if other people have the same experience.

I live in an urban area so it IS noisy out here. It is just the way the K3
deals with that noisy background level.
When switching to ANT2 (not connected to anything) the RX goes virtually
silent.

-- Enno, PF5X