Often plain language is best. The special calls are for *trained* operators
who recognize them quickly even buried in QRM.

Every marine or aircraft operator will tell you there's nothing more
arresting than suddenly hearing SOS pounded out in Morse or Mayday on voice.
Even listening to playback of a distress call makes my skin crawl. You know
there someone in mortal danger at the other end of the message. But that's
true only if you know what the call means.

I'm deeply sorry to hear about the Amateur operators who clearly couldn't be
bothered with a distress call until they were asked. They are not qualified
to be Hams and should have lost their licenses.

Ron AC7AC