At 01:19 PM 09/29/08, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

I'm deeply sorry to hear about the Amateur operators who clearly couldn't be
bothered with a distress call until they were asked. They are not qualified
to be Hams and should have lost their licenses.

I believe that as there is less and less emphasis on the service aspect of ham radio, and less attention paid to the history of the hobby, coupled with the ease of obtaining a license, there are/will be many hams who have no concept of their responsibilities.

I wonder how many of us would continue in the hobby if we had to certify and give an example of operating in the Public Interest, Convenience or Necessity ?

Thom k3hrn