Rob May-2 wrote:

> I worked some PSK today at 20 watts and it seems to be fine.  Just a
> couple of bars on the RF meter when I have the power dialed to 20 watts.
> I running the latest beta (2.45) but I didn't have any problem with 2.38.
> No compression, mic gain turned down so that the ALC just barely makes one
> bar.

pure tone is sent will be about twice the power shown when the transmitter
is modulated. However, what I am seeing is the power not being limited to
what the power control has set. For example, set 5W, key down in CW mode, 5W
is transmitted. Switch to data mode, send a pure tone, 12W is transmitted.
Something is wrong with the way the power control is working.

shown, I can get the output power on a pure tone to follow what is set on
the power control. However, this is not how we have been told the K3 should
be set up, and it was not necessary to do this with previous versions of the
firmware. Lyle stated in a post some months ago, that the ALC meter in data
mode does not actually measure ALC, but signal level, and should be adjusted
to a steady 4 or 5 bars to ensure adequate drive.

I will try the most recent release of the firmware to see if it makes a
difference.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham