To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Power too high in PSK31 / S

Now I don't know what to believe.  In Lyle's April 6 post, he says:

We recommend setting the Mic (or LINE IN) Gain so you get 5 bars of
ALC,
with possibly the 6th bar occasionally flickering...

Yet, on the "K3 Operating Tips" page of the Elecraft web site, in the
section about "Setting up your K3 for PSK" it says:

Use the MIC control to set the drive level so that your output is
equal or just below what you dialed in ... You should not see any
ALC bars on the K3 display (when set to CMP/ALC).

Rev D1 of the operating manual seems to agree with Lyle in that it says:

You can use the same procedure outlined for voice modes (pg. 28)
except that speech compression should not be used.  [Pg. 28]: adjust
MIC for a peak ALC meter indication of about 5-7 bars.

If the operating tip on the web site is wrong, it ought to be
corrected or removed.

73
--
Joe KB8AP