Hello James!

What would be the least expensive initial configuration for a new
(factory assembled) K3? My operating preference is SSB, but I may try
some of the digital modes at some point.

Either the basic 10W unit, or the basic 100W unit will get you on the air. Just add an antenna, power supply and microphone :-)

If your budget is tight, you might want to seriously consider the kit option. It is a no-soldering kit. Much like building a computer, you need a screwdriver and not much else. A dummy load is very useful for getting the transmitter power calibration done. You can buy a used dummy load, or even a new one, for much less than the difference in cost between the kit and the assembled unit.

If you already have an antenna tuner, then that's all you need. Otherwise, you might consider the K3's internal ATU.

...Can the other options be easily added in the future?

All options can be added at a future date. An advantage of the kit is that you know how it goes together -- and comes apart -- so you have added confidence for adding options at a later date as your preferences, needs and budget allows.

Also, note that the K3 manual, and manuals for the various options, are all available for download and review on our website.

73,

Lyle KK7P