Amen.  Except for the stereo part so us non-lobotomized people can still use
mono audio. (Like we have two ears to hear with for good reasons)

Looked at the schematic for the audio output.  Earphone output is coupled
from the IC via caps only-no series resistors. I was considering wiring the
two together (outside the box) to get mono audio when the sub rx engaged.

Don't know what impact that would have.  Each amp apparently can drive 16
ohms but not sure about everything else being OK.

73 de Brian/K3KO