n4lq wrote:

>  With the antenna disconnected, it disappears. It can be heard
> in any mode. I can swing the manual notch across the spectrum and it
> disappears when set to about 360HZ.

No antenna no noise - you have something nearby radiating the noise. 360Hz
is the 6th harmonic of the AC power line. Put the rig in the AM mode and
tune up from the broadcast band looking for peaks in noise. It will likely
sound like a buzz on AM, not like what you are hearing but it will be the
main source of what you hear. You will probably find some really strong ones
in the lower freq ranges - then pick one that is loudest and switch off each
breaker in your electrical panel until it goes away - of it does, look for
what is connected to that circuit. If it doesn't, you have a noise source
outside your home.

Good luck.

Gill W4RYW