FWIW, I've been using N1MM Logger keying via the serial port (and earlier via parallel port) since 'day 1' of Logger on many different PCs, WIN98 thru Vista, 'real' serial ports and USB-to-serial ports, on different YaeComWood rigs, a K2 and now my K3. It works just fine, always has.

The setup via the K3 is easiest of all since it does not require any hand-made cable or level convertor/keying switch, just a quality standard serial cable. I'm not saying anything against the WinKeyer, never tried it, never needed it.

73, Bill N2BC

----- Original Message ----- From: "WILLIS COOKE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 CW Keying via Serial Port?

Fred, you can get the K3 to key, but the timing available in Windows does not allow good CW to be produced. The Workaround is to purchase a WinKeyer USB from K1EL and insert it between the Computer USB port and the Key jack on the K3. This is a function of Windows, not N1MM or the K3. You can not get away from the problem by using different software or a different transceiver. The WinKeyer USB has its own microprocessor to generate the code and accepts the message to be sent in ASCII. The WinKeyer controls the timing. It is not expensive and is very small. Get particulars from www.k1el.com.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ