Sorry to hear of your vision issues Marinus.

CW - I believe CW will be around for a long time to come.  We don't do
CW because it is the best way to get a message through but because it is
the most fun way to get a message through.  If ham radio becomes SSB and
Digital only, I'll QRT.

The SSB module for the K2 is a low cost add-on and makes the rig more
pleasant to listen to when you're copying WWVH.  For the CW op, it gives
no benefit at all.  I wouldn't bother with it unless you think you want
it or want to make sure you get one now while you can.

My K2 was a basic unit.  The extra holes in the back were covered with
tape on the inside from the factory and I left them that way.  I did not
bother to paint over the unused labels.  I've always had rigs with some
missing options so having buttons or knobs that do nothing is normal for
me.

The K2 is a wonderful CW rig, 2nd only to the K3 IMHO.

73!

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -

________________________________

There is a rather high chance that I will loose my vision due to health
issues that sofar have proven to be irreversible. I am attempting to
make the best use of the time while I am still able.

Am a CW addict and do not care about SSB. Had a good look around and
could not find a reasonable priced CW transceiver with QSK. (I just sold
my TenTec Omni 546C which I had intended to keep going for the next 30
years but it needs maintenance and drive adjustments which made it not a
good "future proof" solution. Tentec's new rigs are out of my price
range.)

1) In light of the fact that technology never rests makes me wonder
about the future of CW. Do I need to invest in the SSB module so that I
am able to switch to digital modes should this be required or do you all
expect CW to be around for a long time to come?

2) For those under you who are perfectionists: what do you do with all
those holes in the back that are not used or the labels above / below
the buttons that have no meaningfull function behind them (e.g. the ANT
1/2 , ALC, VOX ) If using this as a pure CW rig and no meainingfull use
for the microphone connector, do you still have it there (just for
show?) or did you do something else with it? Do you fill up the holes
with JBweld and then = use the touchup paint to mask them and paint over
the unused labels?