not sure it was the correct "Reply" nor "Sender" addresses...
--- Begin Message ---
Rob,

I agree with you.

I use also a FT857 (no D model) and i must say that i prefer the controls/buttons configuration of my K3. I must admit that the front panel size is not the same for these 2 TRX! I will just say that i prefer the syntax of the 857 menus with more "explicit" text as the K3. For a non English speaking OM, some abbreviations are not easy to understand and the Owner's Manual is indispensable (i speak for me...). Fortunately, for "current" use, MENU/CONFIG access is not necessary in my case.

But for front panel controls, i find the K3 very well designed. My most used switches/buttons are the main VFO, AF gain (i just have preferred to have it under the RF gain but it's a little "detail"), SHIFT/WIDTH filter ( i greatly appreciate the "automatic" selection between 2.8, 1.8, 0.4 and 0.25 kHz filters during a WIDTH modification) and BAND switch. I also use often the ANT (for switching between 2 antennas) and ATU TUNE (one of my antenna is externally
tuned and the internal tuner is used for the other).
As i mostly work with digital modes (in conjunction with VOX mode),
i appreciate the ease of switching between SWR/RF meter ("normal" use) and CMP(not used for me)/ ALC to verify if all is OK between PSK and JT65 (very) different digital modes.PWR is also often used to adjust output power
according mode/conditions.

To close my bandwidth consuming message, i can say that i'm very happy with Elecraft switches/controls design, hardware and firmware.

73 QRO fr Rudolf, HB9ARI
(65 "turns at PA", ham since 1970)

Rob May wrote:
I don't find any difficulty discerning between "push" and "push and hold",
that's been a feature of many consumer electronics for years.  After 2 months with the K3 I'm still
not familiar with all the features, menus and buttons, because I'm having more fun on the radio
than I've had in years.  The radio is just a joy to use.  I don't find that switching modes or
bands is a problem.  Sometimes I have to fish around for a setting in the menus or look at the
manual, but it's not as difficult as my FT-857D!  As for a computer control program try Ham Radio
Deluxe, the developer, Simon Brown, owns a K3 and HRD does a fine job.  No need for Elecraft to
reinvent the wheel.
Rob
NV5E