Charles I don't have any problem driving my K3 in either contests or just plain ragchewing... 3rd party software is not an Elecraft issue.

One of the best value contest programs is N1MM's Logger, it integrates nicely to the K3 and will directly key it via the serial port with no extra hardware or cables needed... Although it might key more smoothly slow PCs if you use K1EL's "Winkey". It picks DX Cluster spots displaying them on a "tuning scale", you click on the station you want to work, hit another key to call and another key to send a report. Press yet another key to log the QSO. Other than shooting fish in a barrel it doesn't come any easier.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80