                DOES _NOT_ CONTAIN ACETIC ACID

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS

At 00:30 10/23/2008, David Cutter wrote:

Cheap RTVs such as used in bathroom sealant has a vinegar smell and will attack copper. In a small confined space inside a radio that's not good. In an open outdoor environment where the gas can escape it's not such a problem. Dow Corning and others make RTVs with benign contents, but at a considerable increase in cost.

Surface mount components have practically no exposed copper and pcb tracks are not exposed, so, I wonder whether the acetic acid attacks the tin coated contacts.

David
G3UNA
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Bob
To: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: <mailto:elecraft@mailman.qth.net>elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 mobile

OK...  May I ask why?

I have seen it done in commercial products and I recently did it when I was assembling
my SoftRock receivers because of my concerns with the #30 wire breaking.

The two reasons I might think of would be any detuning effect or fear of the material used
attacking the wire insulation.

Any wisdom on this subject out there? I did not see or am not aware of the Elecraft
advisory.

73,
Bob
K2TK

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have seen the use of dope, sealers and so on strongly discouraged by Elecraft.
matt, W6NIA