Ron,

> I am guessing that I want unbalanced audio. The scheme I have
> seen for this is pin 2 for signal, pin 1 for ground, and that
> is jumpered to pin 3. The 1/8 inch tip to XLR pin 2 and sleeve
> to XLR pin 1.

The rear panel mic input does not ground the sleeve of the
1/8" (3.5mm) jack - it is raised by an RF choke.  You will
want to use twisted pair wire with pin 2 of the XLR connected
to the tip of the 1/8" plug and pin 3 of the XLR connected to
the sleeve.

If you use shielded cable, connect the shield to pin 1 of the
XLR and bring it out as a flying lead to the ground terminal on
the K3's rear panel.  Do not jumper pins 1 and 3 of the XLR
unless the "low side" of the mic input is connected DIRECTLY
to ground/chassis.  Doing so will add hum and noise to the input
signal (the "pin 1 problem").