Julian,

I tend to use S-meters more for purposes other than for giving signal
reports, but when I do give a signal report I prefer to make it an honest
one and update it later in the qso. When I get a non-real report of 599 e.g.
from a dx, it kind of neutralizes the joy of having made the contact. I
think Elecraft and TT (and in the past Collins) deserve credit for providing
meaningful S-meter scales. I think the biggest problem today with the
existing S-meter standard is that the same standard is applied to each HF/MF
band, with an abrupt change for VHF. A separate S9 definition for each band
would make more sense because of different average noise levels. Sometimes
in the past I have gone by the standard for 40 and down, and deliberately
inflated the readings on the higher bands by switching on the preamp
consistently for those bands. Of course if one uses a separate receive
antenna, one may need to adjust reports for that. Given all possible
adjustments, one might want to be able to set a dB offset individually for
each band, and I am sure that the K3 could do that, although I would not
push for it as a priority.

Anyway, since you do external software for the K3, can you confirm that an
S-meter displayed on the PC could get signal strength data from the K3 that
has a fine enough granularity to show a change of 1 or 2 dB?

Thanks,
Erik K7TV