This is a nice mental thought experiment.  Tune two identical
receivers to the same pass band and listen on both.  If you sum
the outputs together (neglecting the noise generated inside
the receivers themselves like we have on a noisy 40m band), the
two outputs will be the same.  The band noise goes up 2x, the
desired signal goes up 2x.

Think about what you are proposing: In order for there to be
3 dB SNR degradation, somehow the receiver would have to
"know" what "stuff" is "signal" and what stuff is "noise"
and treat them differently.  A receiver (other than cases
like noise blankers) does not do that.  The receiver translates
both band noise and desired signal to audio.  Thus, as long
as the signals external to the two receivers swamp the
internal noise of the receivers, summing the two outputs of
the two receivers driven from the same antenna will not help
or hurt the signal to noise ratio.  How can it hurt the SNR?
How can the audio output **not add** for the desired signal
and **add** for the noise? The desired signal adds the same
as the undesired band noise add.

I was once fooled by this thinking as well.  It helped me a lot
to understand that to a receiver everything is a signal. The
desired station is signal.  The undesired band noise is also a
signal.  Thus adding the output of two receivers together gets 2x
"signal" and also 2x "noise".  Both will increase by 6 dB, but
the ratio of "signal" to "noise" is unchanged.

Like I said before, the only potential signal to noise improvement
happens when the receiver internal noise starts masking the external
desired signals, in which case all external signals double in
voltage (both signal and band noise), a 6 dB gain, while the
internal noise from the two receivers will not be the same,
adding in an uncorrelated manner, seeing only a 3 dB gain.  Thus
we can see a net signal to noise improvement since the receiver
noise component will increase less than the external signal and
band noise increases.

Receiver noise being a limiting factor happens either under
very quite band conditions, or when a very poor antenna is being
used.

- Dan, N7VE