Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2 wrote:

> I agree on the observation of the NR.
> Up till now I have not been able to find a setting that gives me a real
> improvement. The NB is very good, but I find the NR disappointing. Any
> advice from list members is appriciated, or is the solution in improving
> the NR algorithms?

You may simply be expecting too much of NR.  It cannot overcome the basic
physics of noise bandwidth.  If you're already at a narrow CW bandwidth, it
will do very little except confuse you.  N.B. #6 below.

http://www.zerobeat.net/mediawiki/index.php/K3_DSP

NR explained by Lyle Johnson

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what NR is and how it
works, at least in the context of the K3.

1) NR is better named SE (signal enhancer).

2) It is a "short" FIR filter whose coefficients are continuously being
recalculated.

3) It defaults to suppressing everything.

4) When it senses that there is something that correlates (i.e., has a
pattern that doesn't seem to be entirely random), it attempts to build a
filter around those frequencies that seem less random.

5) Because the FIR filter that is being implemented is short, the filter
being built is less selective than the normal DSP filters in the radio.

6) NR is rarely useful if the bandwidth is narrow. If you set your CW width
to 400 Hz or less, for example, there is no point in running NR *unless* you
want to use it as a sort-of "smart squelch."

7) The narrower you set your WIDTH, the more that noise appears like a
signal, and the worse the NR will perform. And the less noise there is
anyway, assuming there is a signal present. NR cannot compete with a narrow
filter, and was not designed to.

8) I find NR most useful during CW operation with the 2.8 kHz roofing filter
NORM'ed so the Rx bandwidth is wide. Assuming band activity is low, the Rx
is quiet. If a CW station comes on within the Rx passband, a filter will be
built around the station and I can hear it.

9) Similarly, I find NR in SSB is mostly useful as a sort of squelch when
tuning around, or monitoring a frequency you are expecting a call on
(probably a net or a sked). I use NR1-1 or NR1-2 for this. Mild suppression,
not too much impact on fidelity, and lets me hear weak signals, too.

I hope this is helpful in better understanding how NR is implemented in the
K3.