On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:47:17 +0100, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:

>But if the NR is only for further de-noising already good signals...
>then I set my expectations are too high. Please tell me I'm wrong
>here.

Lyle's guidance is on the mark -- after all, he wrote the code, so he
knows what it does!

In CW mode, I'm nearly always working at bandwidths less than 400 Hz,
and I've rarely found NR very useful In SSB mode, NR greatly reduces
the noise when there's no signal, so it allows me to crank the gain
higher when I'm just monitoring or tuning arond, without a lot of
fatigue from the noise. That's a good thing, but I've not often found
situations where NR improves the readability of a signal.

On the other hand, I DO find that the Noise Blanker helps if I don't
overdo it, and also find that it's easy to overdo it. :)

73,

Jim K9YC