Because I use the same mic input during SSB operation, keeping the
configuration the same regardless of what radio is in that position.  The K3
is the only radio that has a line in.  And, I did try using the line in to
troubleshoot this problem.  Due to the 20dB attenuator that I'm using, I had
to crank up the sound card output to max, and turn the LINE IN gain up to a
whopping 40 (60 is max).  Even then, the same problem existed.  Very low ALC
and not 100W power, and turning it up just a hair more to get 3-4 bars ALC
resulted in the ticking/distortion.

Chad WE9V