Okay, all good suggestions.  Thanks Jim and Joe.

I didn't stop at just removing the RS-232 cable.  I removed EVERY cable to
the K3 other than the single cable for audio in.  (I kept the grounding
braid and antenna, but still tested using the TX TEST mode, no RF.)

Tried the FP mic connector.  Same behavior.

Shorted out the series resistor on the 20dB attenuator and connected to the
LINE IN on the K3.  Cranked up the soundcard output, turned the LINE IN gain
to around 5.

Same problem.  Monitor audio sounds fine at 2 bars ALC with no hint of
ticking.  Increase either the soundcard output or K3 input gain to get 3
bars ALC and ticking begins.  Goes from no ticking to ticking with only one
"click" of the K3 mic/line in gain.

No setting of soundcard output and K3 input gain results in 3 bars more more
of ALC without the ticking sound.  No hint of ticking at 2 bars ALC.
Soundcard is an ol' favorite, a Creative Labs PCI 128 CT4750...been working
great for years and scores the 7F on Writelog.  Works fine at any output
level with any other radio.  Continues to work FB with FT-1000D.