Though my K3 is still in utero and I have no personal experence with
the fan noise on it yet, I might suggest getting some foam baffling
like you see on some speaker grills and mount that behind the radio
and if possible, angle the batting to deflect the fans sound waves
above or below, so they do not reflect directly back to the radio and
as well, back to you.

If you direct the sound lower you might have a bit of this baffling
taped to the back of the desk and that will break up the resonance
which will only serve to amplify the sound.

An ideal material would be the irregular shaped sound proofing AKA
acoustic tile as the material tends to not reflect sound but the
irregular shapes on its surface break up resonance.

Fiberglass would be great except for the obvious problem of the
slivers. very wrinkled terrycloth would be better than nothing, if
you can't find such batting, be creative; something you have on hand
or can find easily will surely be of some help. Just use something
fuzzy at the least.

The closer the sound is immediately to right angles will increase the
lower registers as in the reason floor mounted speakers carry more
bass than ones mid level & in the open, up the wall.

73,

Gary
KA1J