Thanks Tom (and several others too!), I'll contact Elecraft.
Screws tight, but not over-tightened.  Finger
guards centered.  Fans move air in the right
direction.  Also, nothing touching the blades.

I did notice that the instructions said to install some bushings at the
corners of the fans.  My fans were made so that "bushings"
were already part of the fan and bushings were not in the kit....could
be a change in supplier or fan model.  Also, the instructions (including
errata) didn't apply to my fan model.  Interesting...and it's got to
be a tough job for anyone to keep up with suppliers and all the details
that go into producing these kits!  My k3's serial is 1719.

I just checked the fans again using the TECH-MD PA-FN1
thru PA-FN4, and yes, they do "whine" at all speeds, although
sounding different of course with varying degrees of "whine".
Listening very carefully when they power-down, I could swear
that the fan bearings and/or brushes (if there are any) sound rough.

Thanks,
Charlie, N0TT