Relative to my 1983 Kenwood R-2000 (http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/r2000.htm),
my K3 sounds awful when listening to any AM broadcast stations. I have the
6KHz and 12KHz filters installed and despite widening the AM IF bandwidth to
10KHz and spending many hours fussing about with the RX EQ, I cannot make
the K3 to sound even remotely enjoyable. Quite frankly, this is really
annoying me although I am impressed by the K3 thanks Elecraft.

I've ordered an Icom SP20 in the hope this will help but while waiting for
it to arrive I did some research and stumbled on this archived thread -
http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg52230.html, which
suggests the K3's DSP attenuates the IF passband below 250Hz and the
frequency range of the IF passband will be widened in a firmware upgrade.

So I have the following questions -
Why have the low frequencies been attenuated?
Is 250Hz the -6dB or -3dB point?
Will the passband be widened in an upgrade?

I do admit though that the K3's SSB audio is FAR superior to that of the
R2000 (but it does have a VFO resolution of only 100Hz). The K3's SSB audio
does sound great.

Shane
VK5ABQ