Thanks for your replies guys. Hopefully Icom's SP20 makes a difference.

I've received too many emails privately to reply to each separately sorry so
I hope those who were kind enough to spend their time writing to me won't
mind if I answer all questions here?

I do have a KBPF3 general coverage bandpass filters installed and my
comments about the relatively poor audio quality referred to the sound
coming from the K3's internal speaker. While the R2000 sounds terrific using
a 6KHz max bandwidth to listen to AM broadcast, the K3 just does not sound
very nice at all despite being opened up to 10KHz bandwidth. I couldn't
believe how poor it sounded when I turned the rig on the first time (it was
factory assembled). I had that sinking feeling you get when you first
suspect you've not spent your money on what you should have.

At this stage I do expect the K3 will sound fine with the SP20, after all
50Hz and 100Hz were included in the RX EQ for a reason? It's a pity their
level doesn't make any difference when listening to the K3's internal
speaker.

-----

Shane