As far as I am concerned, there have been a lot more "failed encoders"
than have been cited on the elecraft reflector.  I personally has
three guys call me to inquire about it (months ago now) and none of
them posted anything here.  The first guy got a "try swapping with VFO
A" approach and since VFO A then "failed," it confirmed a bad encoder
which was promptly replaced.  Since then, I think "failed encoders"
are simply replaced without asking the user to remove the FP and swap
encoders A<>B.

It's too bad that parts fail, but it is a great story that they are
replaced so quickly.  I think this is called "rescue service" in the
customer support field.

de Doug KR2Q