They really are "static dissipating" mats. They intentionally have a very
high resistance to avoid any significant current flowing through them - much
higher than a common DMM can indicate.

Although all of us have seen the sparks that can be produced by static
electricity we generate by moving around, those obvious charges are not the
most common danger. In many transistors and I.C.s the insulation might be
only a few atoms thick, designed to withstand no more than a few volts. Even
tiny charges with sufficient voltage can destroy or seriously degrade those
devices.

So a mat won't protect a board or device laying on it that you suddenly
touch while still carrying a big charge yourself, nor will touching the mat
instead of touching a ground make you safe.

Working at the bench, you will create a static charge much faster by moving
around. That's why a wrist strap has a much smaller resistance to ground -
usually about 1 megohm - to keep you discharged without producing a shock
hazard in the event you touch a live circuit.

Even so, I have the long habit of touching the ground terminal directly
whenever I'm sitting down at the bench and donning my wrist strap. That way
I'm discharged before I ever put the wrist strap on. And, truth to tell, if
I'm doing something simple and quick such as reinserting a board in the
radio, touching the ground before picking up the board is all I do.

Ron AC7AC