Doug, the preamp does not discriminate between signal and noise.  It does not
bring the signal "out of the noise".  It will raise the level of the signal and
the noise if the noise level is very low such as happens frequently on VHF,
sometimes on ten meters and occasionally on 15 meters.  Preamps seldom help on
the lower bands.

The ten meter contest this weekend was a time where a preamp helped.  I used
the one in my K3.  For me, most of the time the noise level was low enough that
the preamp was of benefit.  It raised the signal about an S unit which was
enough.  Part of the time the local power line noise was enough that I turned
the preamp off because the noise level was moving the S meter.

The best place for a preamp is at the antenna before the coax.  Needless to
say, this presents a lot of complications for transmitting antennas so hams
usually use a preamp at the receiver.  Preamps are great for receive only
antennas that are far away from the shack, particularly if they are not very
sensitive (such as a Beverage on 160 meters)

As you observed, preamps are not very smart.  They are just a transistor or two
and some filtering.  They are useful sometimes, harmful at others.

I hope this helps.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ