Hello Doug,

Here some basics about preamps. I will try to make it short, but I could
expand to pages....

A preamp only makes sense if the noise-figure (NF) of the preamp is better
than the NF of the normal input stage (usually the normal frontend input).
Each stage in a receiver (frontend, mixer, pads, amplifiers and buffers)
adds his internal noise to the combination of signal and noise injected into
that stage. If the noise-figure (NF) of the first stage is better then the
NF of the following stage, the amplification factor of the first stage is
determining if, and how much, the S/N ratio becomes better (or not). So, to
stay with your words: The preamp is not some kind of intelligent amplifier
selecting signal out of the noise but it should present a better signal to
noise ratio to the next stage because it adds less internal (thermal) noise
to the signal than the following stage.

The best result in signal to noise ratio is coming out of your antenna
connector (at the antenna) everything done after, is worsening the
situation. The first decrease in S/N ration is due to attenuation of the
coaxial cable. So the best place to put the preamp is at the antenna so the
signal + antenna noise is amplified to a "maximum" level. The amount of
noise added by the preamp and coaxial cable is only relative small compared
to the amplified antenna signal.

A preamp has got 1 big disadvantage: it decreases the dynamic range of the
original receiver setup (with about the same number of dB's as the gain of
the pre-amplifier).

The best solution whatever is a frontend that has to little gain of it's own
but a relative low NF (let's say 3 dB) and capable of handling BIG signals.
A separate preamp that has a NF of 0,5 dB and a gain of 13 dB would be good
enough to have a good overall performance (low NF and not too much gain
before the first mixer stage).

Most preamps in HF equipment are TOTALLY useless and only worsening the
situation (but looks good on your S-meter). The discussion about the need
for a low NF preamp on HF is easy for me: The less noise the preamp adds
from itself (and so worsening the S/N ratio) the better it is. The effect of
a low noise preamp is lessening when the atmospheric noise is higher, but
the effect will never be zero!

On low band the atmospheric noise is high and local signals very strong and
so stressing the dynamic range of the receiver. On these bands it's
sometimes better to switch the preamp off.

73's Evert PA2KW