I agree.

I see at least three options:

1. Buy new. A commodity is what they are. They are to the point of plug and play. They are bought and sold as such.

2. Buy a used one and if necessary bring it up to specs with add-ons, new valves, etc..

3.  Build one from a kit or and/or homebrew from schematic yourself.

If (big If) Elecraft were to release an amplifier to market, it would be in category #3, I hope.

They'd likely not offer option #1 and the market for a used KPA800/1500 would be tight. Then there's the more litigious environment we live in today and a kit-form full gallon linear does present the novice builder some challenges that are different than a K2/K3.

I went option #2. SB-200 with the mods and new valves. 1.2kW PEP, for under what MFJ sells and far below what THP sells.

In the recent time frame, what perplexes me is that there is not a well known kit-form linear amplifier out there (if there is, I've missed it).

Does the market need another linear? Probably not. Does it need a linear in kit form? I'd say yes. I won't lose sleep over Elecraft not releasing a linear kit. But it would be nice to keep a K-line, if you know what I mean.

Given the shortening of order to shipment for K3s, the fact may be that Elecraft is circling the wagons economically and waiting for a period where there is more money flowing around. Like the other poster said, the R&D to get the new linear in retail form-factor may take time.. Time they don't have with the DVR, Sub-Rx, etc.. in work and so forth. It's a small company. Excellent, but still small.

How many COO's and executives read and respond to their customer oriented mailing lists?

--
Jeff Wandling DE W7BRS K3 #2105     http://w7brs.com/k3
k...@w7brs.com