This sounds exactly like the problem I report to the reflector on 11/23
titled "K3 AFSK RTTY overdrive - no ALC".  Everyone on the reflector
poo-poo'd it as it being a problem on my end.  I'm glad to see others come
out of the woodwork with the same problem.  I haven't tried RTTY since
upgrading to the latest firmware to see if it's gotten worse, but the
"ticking" sound would go away when I only used about 2 bars of ALC, but then
it was difficult to get the full 100W output.  Mine, too, was present in TX
TEST mode, so I knew it wasn't a RF issue.

In listening to the signal on another receiver the ticking/crackling seems
to make the TX signal wider, but that's only by ear....I don't have a scope.

Chad WE9V