> If what Joe claims is true then this is a more serious issue
> than even I imagined, since it affects SSB operation as well
> as data modes. It would be so serious that I suspect he is
> wrong about it.
>
> If I dial up 100W in SSB or data I expect the power to be
> limited to 100W PEP, not 100W average power.

The K3, like any other peak reading wattmeter uses a time
constant appropriate for "normal" voice.  As such in SSB
the K3 adjusts for the typical peak to average of voice -
one of the reasons for TXG VCE.  Serious investigation will
show that TXG VCE will vary with the particular voice and
the level of compression (clipping) prior to the power control
circuitry.  Watching the output with a scope or fast peak
reading wattmeter like the LP-100 will also show the differences
(and deviations) with voice characteristics and compressions
levels.

However with digital modes like PSK31 the peak to average
ratio varies with modulation and compression/clipping can
not be tolerated if IMD is to be avoided.  To be accurate
with arbitrary digital modulation, the wattmeter must be able
to respond to peaks in the fraction of a millisecond range.
To adequately control the power level and must be able to
predict the required peak to average ratio (headroom).  In
commercial applications (cellular telephone, digital TV,
etc.) the power amplifiers are regularly operated at
average power levels 10 to 20 dB OR MORE below saturation
(the 1 dB compression point) with long time constant average
power control due to the high peak to average ratios.

> One reason I suspect he is wrong is that the observation of
> getting around twice the requested power applies to any data
> mode, not just PSK31. I can feed a pure sine wave in, request
> a power of 5W, and get 10W out. If the K3 power meter was
> indeed average level then it should still limit the power to
> 5W as it does in SSB.

No.  If you were operating in SSB (and DATA A is SSB), the
internal "adjustment" for peak to average in a voice signal
would cause the gain in the amplifier chain to be increased
to provide approximately twice the requested power output.
I can create almost any arbitrary level of "overpower" for
a single tone in DATA A simply by adjusting TXG VCE.  If it
is set (as I normally do) for +1.5 dB, I will see just about
3dB of "overpower" when driving the k3 with a single tone
and adjusting the line input for five bars of ALC.  If, on
the other hand, I reduce TXG VCE to -1.5 dB, the power level
will be almost exactly the requested level (15.8 for 15, 98
for 100 on 20 meters).  This has nothing to do with the peak
to average ratio since this is with tone ... only with the
way the K3 controls power in SSB modes.

Again, the K3 wattmeter is essentially average responding
(as you would expect for CW and to be used with the tuner).
The MCU then makes an "educated" guess bout the peak to
average power and duty cycle in SSB.  TXG VCE then allows
the user to "tune" that adjustment for their own voice and
level of compression.

TXG VCE does not seem to effect the power level for a single
tone in SSB (as expected) but it seems to have a significant
effect in DATA A.  That appears to be as expected if the power
control is based on an average reading wattmeter with a
compensation factor.  Perhaps the MCU needs another control -
TXG DTA anyone?  By the way, AFSK A behaves exactly like SSB
and does not show the "overpower" with tone.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV